Who doesn’t love quotes, right? I’m a quote hoarder. I have note books filled with them. Every time I see something in a book/movie/magazine that I love, I have to jot it down. It’s a sickness. So today on Thursday’s Children I wanted to share with you some of the quotes that inspire me…

Black

I think I first heard this quote a thousand years ago on an episode of Criminal Minds. This is one of the things that inspired me to write In Stone. When I first looked it up online I found a lot of essay’s and opinions all searching for a meaning in Nietzsche’s words. When I first read this I took it at face value. To mean that if you spend enough time in the company of monsters, you yourself will become a monster. And you’ll find yourself in a place that’s all consuming. Inescapable. With this is mind, the characters for In Stone were born.

Green

Couldn’t possibly have a quotation fest without the wise and wonderful Yoda! This is one of my absolute favorite quotes Sometimes ‘trying’ gives me too much scope to fail. Sometimes I need to cut out the self doubt that ‘to try’ let’s in and just get on and do it.

Blue

I keep this one close because as a writer, it reminds me that bad reviews and criticism will come, but in the end I’m doing exactly what I want to do. It comes with the territory.

Purple

I love this quote, not least of all because The Picture of Dorian Gray is brilliant, but also because it reminds that sometimes in life, somethings simply aren’t meant to be.

Red

And last, but by no means least, a quote that reminds that long before I wanted to be a published/paid writer, I wrote for me. For fun!

So, your turn. What quotes inspire you?

<!– start LinkyTools script –>
<p><b>Powered by Linky Tools</b></p><p><a href=”http://www.linkytools.com/wordpress_list.aspx?id=190621&type=basic“>Click here</a> to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…</p>
<!– end LinkyTools script –>
Don’t forget to visit as many of the other blogs as you can!
Advertisements

About bookishblurb

YA writer. Jedi. Junk food enthusiast. Rumored pink Power Ranger, and avid collector of book boyfriends.

30 responses »

1. celuth says:

I too am a lover of quotes and I have also had story inspiration from the first one! I heard it at first as it was right at the beginning of one of my favourite games of all time (Baldur’s Gate) and it was a great inspiration for the protagonist of the series I am currently writing. Great post! 😀

• bookishblurb says:

Thanks for stopping by Celuth. I loved your WriMo post. I’ve never been brave enough to give it a go. Would love to one day though 🙂

2. sugaropal says:

I’m not a quote hoarder, but that isn’t to say that others’ words haven’t inspired me, I just can’t remember exactly what the words were. And if I were going to collect quotes, Oscar W is certainly one of the most quotable writers ever.

3. Stacey says:

These are some of my favorite quotes! Yoda had some great ones, eh? Okay, here’s another: “No more rhymes now, I mean it!” “Anybody want a peanut?”

4. These are great. One that I always try to keep in mind is a proverb: “True strength is gentle.” Thanks for joining us!

5. I may have to hord your quotes now. Love that your characters were created fro that Neitzsche quote. And btw, your book sounds amazing–must get my hands on it, and read! Congratulations.

• bookishblurb says:

Hey Karen! Thanks for stopping by. Hord away 😉 And thank you, I can’t wait for you to read it!! x

6. Hehe. My favourite quote here is Yoda’s. I’ve recently watched the Empire Strikes Back, and it’s amazing how much knowledge our green little friend shares in the space of 30 mins.

Thanks for sharing!

• bookishblurb says:

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Yoda, an answer always he has (I’m sorry. Couldn’t help myself) ;D

7. Mia Celeste says:

Great quotes. I’m a quote hoarder too. I love the one about the abyss staring back. Thanks for sharing.

8. Jaye Robin Brown (@JayeRobinBrown) says:

Pretty fond of that Yoda quote myself :0)

9. paulalharvey says:

That first quote by Nietzsche was incredible, I’ve never heard it before and I hope I remember it forever because it’s so true…

My favorite quote is by Charlie Chaplin,
    “Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself.”

I like this quote because I’m afraid that people will look at my writing as superficial or …just really bad. But the thing is, the true failure is not trying for fear of failure- Charlie Chaplin’s words inspire me to get over myself (my pride, to be specific) and put my work out there.

This was a great post, I loved reading the quotes- they’re so inspiring! : )

• bookishblurb says:

I love this! Adding it to my list. Thanks for sharing.

You know, it reminds me of a Babe Ruth quote: “Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game” And I agree, true failure is not trying for fear of failure 🙂

10. When I was a teenager I hoarded quotes and put them in a notebook with my poetry. Some of them have inspired my stories. Partly because I still love them, but also because they remind me how they spoke to me as a teen.

I could be misquoting, but there was one by Herman Hesse which went something like this: All I wanted was to live by the promptings which came from my true self. Why was that so difficult?

• bookishblurb says:

Hi Pat. Thanks so much for sharing. I’ve been a hoarder since college. Got quotes coming out of my ears. 🙂

11. Great quotes – I’m so often inspired in the moment, but terrible when it comes to recall. You’ve inspired me to keep a notebook too!

• bookishblurb says:

Hi Raewyn. Thanks for stopping by. I’m so glad I inspired you to get a notebook. My life would be incomplete without one 🙂

12. I love quotes too … no surprise, we seem to be twins 😉 And I know you’ll appreciate one of my favourites too – “Without the dark, we’d never see the stars” – S Meyer.

13. christineallenriley says:

I love quotes! A couple of my favorites are:

“Speak your mind – even if your voice shakes.” ~ Maggie Kuhn

“At any given moment, you have the power to say this is how the story is going to end.” ~ Unknown

14. Kate Michael says:

I love the quote in Gladiator by Russell Crowe–“What we do in life echoes an eternity.” And I love Yoda too 🙂

• bookishblurb says:

Yes! I love that movie. Always makes me cry. And there are some beautiful lines. This one is definitely one of my favs!! 🙂

15. I love quotes! Thanks for sharing!
    PS – the one about the Abyss is cool, but totally creeps me out. haha!